Extra Curricular Activities
Briarwood has an active after school athletic program. There are no tryouts. Students who will commit to attending practices and following the rules of the program will be a part of the team.
Our students learn to honor the game. Win or lose, the ability to participate is a privilege. Just as we teach to the whole child in the classroom, our coaches are models and teachers of the whole player on the court and the field. Along with skills and rules, the athletic department endorses sportsmanship, dedication, dependability, and commitment to the team and all competitions.
Briarwood coaches are also classroom teachers. Therefore, the mission of the school is easily incorporated into our approach to each sport. Teaching the skills of the sport and the rules of the game is an ongoing objective since we are teaching the game to some of our athletes for the first time. We also see that this continuous process allows our teams, as well as individual students, to bring to each game, both a better understanding of the game and a sense of fair play.
The 2014-15 school year is our first year to be associated with Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA). This organization aligns perfectly with our goal of providing the students at Briarwood a positive character-building youth sports experience. The PCA has worked with schools since 1998 to enhance athletic programs by using a three-tier approach:
- Working with coaches who strive to win while also pursuing the more important goal of life lessons through sports
- Defining the parent group as those who concentrate on life lessons while letting coaches and athletes focus on competing
- Grooming an athlete who strives to impact the sport on three levels: Improving self, teammates, and the game as a whole.
Fall Sports (Season runs from August – October)
- Cross Country / Grades 9 – 12 / Co-ed
- Flag Football / Grades 7 – 12 / Boys
- Volleyball / Grades 7 – 12 / Girls
Winter Sports (Season runs from October – February)
- Basketball / Grades 7 – 12 / Boys teams and Girls teams
- Soccer / Grades 7 – 12 / Co-ed teams
Spring Sports (Season runs from February – April)
- Golf / Grades 9 – 12 / Co-ed
- Track / Grades 7 – 12 / Co-ed
- Tennis / Grades 7 – 12 / Co-ed
The Drama Department presents a fall and a spring production each school year. Students in grades 9 – 12 may audition for parts in the play or be part of the technical crew and work behind the scenes.