The Briarwood School is one of the premier schools in the country for children with a broad range of learning differences and developmental disorders.
The goal of Briarwood is to provide a learning environment that fosters the total development of each student and builds academic skills, increases motivation, and bolsters self-esteem. By identifying a child’s learning style, remediating weaknesses, and teaching to strengths, Briarwood provides each child with a solid foundation that serves as the basis for future successes.
The Briarwood School serves two distinct populations each with special educational needs:
1. The Briarwood School
Of the 300 students in the Lower and Middle-Upper Schools, approximately 80% are children with average to superior intelligence with a broad range of learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, non-verbal learning disorders, speech/language, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and processing disorders.
2. The Tuttle School
Tuttle School, our smallest school, is comprised of approximately 50 students from the ages of 5 to 21 who present with developmental disorders such as autistic spectrum disorders and Down syndrome, and other syndromes, such as Fragile X and Williams.
The Briarwood Advantage
- Has a legacy of almost 50 years of excellence in teaching students with learning differences/disabilities
- Takes pride in a 1:8 Faculty/Student ratio for all grades K-12
- Retains highly skilled teachers who are trained to focus on the academic, physical, emotional and social growth of each student
- Utilizes research and evidence-based methods and materials to match the child’s learning style
- Emphasizes language, reading, comprehension, fluency, time- management, and organizational skills through research-based, specialized programs
- Ensures individual attention to each child and active participation by each child through the small class sizes
- Provides speech and language therapy utilizing a staff of six certified Speech and Language Pathologists
- Maintains two full-time Licensed Professional Counselors
- Provides a guidance program to assist each graduate with his or her post-high school years
- Is centered in a 100,000 square-foot specially designed facility on 9.2 acres
- Equips students to play multiple team sports on a state-of-the-art track and field, field house and a gymnasium
The Briarwood School empowers students with diagnosed learning differences or developmental disorders to reach their maximum potential through diagnostic-prescriptive instruction in a structured academic environment.
Accreditation and Affiliations
- Accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Council for Exceptional Children
- Houston Association of Independent Schools
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Dyslexia Association–Houston Branch
- Learning Disabilities Association
- National Association of Private Special Education Centers
We envision a world where all children can enjoy the benefits of an education in an environment that meets their unique and collective needs and capitalizes on their strengths. Every student can learn, and every student has the right to be taught in the way he or she learns best.